Question : I am treated as an adult in teenage
Teentalker , 15-year-old
Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns.
It is normal and natural to go through phases during your teen years where some people might end up treating you like an adult. There could be a variety of reasons for this; it might have something to do with you maturing appearance wise, growing tall or just simply because of the way you sound while talking or the immense maturity you display through your behaviour.
Research has also shown that those who go through puberty and mature faster are more likely to be perceived as adults and treated accordingly, even if they are still struggling to catch up emotionally.
Teen years are an interesting phase of life, because you are going through a transition phase and moving past your childhood and getting ready for adulthood.
How you are perceived by others will also depend on whether you have an elder or younger brother, sister or a twin, for that matter. So, if you’re the older child in the family, you are more likely to be treated as an adult as compared to the younger one.
If you find yourself going through these dilemmas or confusion, then here are a few things you can do to deal with such challenges:
- Know when you’re likely to be treated as an adult: Is it specific to certain situations? Or does this happen all the time?
- Being adult means shouldering more responsibility, so take it up as a challenge and be positive!
- Get to know yourself better and become self-aware! You can work on the tools ‘You are so worth it’, ‘Boost your self-esteem’ by exploring the tab on Body Image and Self-Esteem.
- You can also work on the tool ‘Self-Care’ in order to figure things out and get to know yourself better.
- Writing can be therapeutic.This is a great way to figure yourself out and to know when do you find yourself behaving in a more mature way and when do you end up feeling like other teenagers of your age. That will give you some much needed clarity.
Hope this helps, if you have any other query do connect online for chat between 11am-8pm or drop us an offline message.
Expert Teentalk India