Question : My friend is staying in a joint family. She was sexually abused by his uncle and she just told me about this. Now after she warned her uncle that she will tell her parents about this, he stopped doing things. But still, she is always scared. Earlier she used to come to my place but now due to the lockdown she even can’t do that. How should I support her?Teentalker
Thanks for reaching out.
I can understand how scared your friend is feeling right now. It is a good thing that you are there for her and she can share these things with you. This is the most difficult time for those who are facing abuse at home. Here are a few tips that you can
- Help her to create a safety plan for herself.
- Direct her to the digital resources that are available like online therapy sessions.
- Remind her that whatever is happening is not their fault.
- Set some communication guidelines for you both like – decide the frequency of contact to check in on them, set pre-decided code words, if possible have the contact number of a person who is in immediate surroundings of your friend and can update you in case of emergency.
- In case you suspect the situation will get worse, guide her to the nearest police station.
- If you don’t hear from her for a long time, try reaching to her parents or neighbors or other law enforcement agencies if needed.
Hope this is helpful. If you have another query, please feel free to reach out to us on chat from Monday to Saturday between 11am and 7pm or leave us an offline message