Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your concern with us.
Communication is key, always remember that. Most of the time, parents come from a generation or cultural background that comes with an ideology similar to ‘’run some dirt on it’’. experts know that this ideology may work with physical wounds but is definitely not so effective with emotional ones. We need to indulge in educating our parents about the changing times and their changing needs, only then will they know that rubbing dirt on it can make the wound septic.
Things to do when you find your parents in denial with your depression:
- Speak to them and make sure you’ve been heard and understood.
- Explain to them that there is scientific backing to your condition.
- Show them evidence, information shared and created by experts in the field.
- Tell your parents that you are comfortable with taking life at your own pace, and competition is harming you more than it’s helping you.
- Spend time with your parents to create a bond of trust so your parents have faith in your condition and don’t think it’s an excuse to get out of responsibilities.
Your parents always want what’s best for you, sometimes you may have to define what’s really best for you.
You can also speak with our teentalkindia experts and seek guidance by clicking on Chat With Us.